Monday, July 03, 2006

I will not obsess I will not obsess I will not obsess

And here I thought I was doing so well. I was nicely distracted by guests this weekend (a couple of HS's high school friends. I would say my friends too, but I just can't get into the who-was-screwing-around-with-what-teacher conversation, y'know? There was a shockingly long list from HS's high school, but anywho). Now that everyone has cleared out, I have some free time with my thoughts. Not a good thing, considering tomorrow is my day o' medical tests. Oh joy. I have a low, constant level of queasiness and a raging patch of eczema to remind me. Not that I need reminding, mind you. My brain takes care of that, so body, cool it with the flaky skin, ok? But on the bright side, the outdoor pools are open, and I always feel better floating about in the water. Pool, lake, river, it doesn't matter; it's an instant mood lifter. (When I was nine months pregnant with Charlie, I lived in the JCC pool. I was so enormous, it hurt to walk, but in the pool -- bliss. When Charlie was born two weeks early at 9.1 lbs, the pain made sense.) So we are going swimming after Charlie's nap. And perhaps a bike ride because I find that my thoughts become wonderfully disjointed non sequiters when I exercise.

But let's talk about something else. How about food? Again! Our friends gave us this yummy marinade when we visited their cottage. I don't think they'd mind if we posted it. (I don't know if they made it up or what, so if this is someone's recipe, my apologies.) I recreated it this past weekend paired with some steaks, and I looked like a culinary superstah! And the watermelon-feta salad was a hit again, after the usual skepticism. Toss the following together, and hit the grill!

1/2 C red wine
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/3 C soy sauce
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C chopped green onions
6 crushed garlic cloves
a few shakes of hot sauce

(I used a little more wine and a little less sugar, but I'm not a sweets kind of girl anyway.)

No comments: